Paramedic Ambulance Driving

Most NHS Ambulance Service Trusts will require you to have a clean driving license, you will also need excellent driving skills and a complete knowledge of the highway. Some NHS Ambulance Trusts require their staff to have category C1 and D1, some just C1 on your driving license and you must also complete the Edexcel level 2 & 3 Emergency Driving course. 

Further information on blue light use by the different services can be seen on this website: www.ukemergency.co.uk/blue-light-use/

What is category C1 and D1

C1 - You can drive vehicles weighing between 3,500 and 7,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).

D1 - You can drive vehicles with:

  • no more than 16 passenger seats
  • a maximum length of 8 metres
  • a trailer up to 750kg

Edexcel Level 2 & 3 (IHCD D1 & D2) Emergency Driving

The Edexcel IHCD courses are the only ambulance training courses recognised by NHS Ambulance Trusts

It will mandate that all emergency services drivers who may be required to exceed speed limits from time-to-time, whether they work for a statutory public service or a private ambulance service, MUST have undergone a recognised high-speed driving course. For ambulance, the IHCD D1+D2 is the only recognised course that meets this requirement currently.

The IHCD/Edexcel/BTEC level 3 Ambulance Driving course is the industry standard qualification for ambulance services both in the public and independent sector. Most ambulance service providers will ask for IHCD Certification as a pre-employment qualification as it is the industry benchmark.

Ambulance Driving Courses


To advertise here then Contact Us